Bike tyres are one of the most critical parts of your bike as they are the bike’s contact point with the ground. Checking them regularly is a good way to ensure you have a smooth ride.
– One of the best things you can do is check your bike tyre pressure. If you commute or train regularly it is a good idea to do this every 7 – 10 days. Bike tyres at the correct pressure are less likely to get punctures. The recommended pressure is usually on the tyre sidewall. Having a good track pump makes getting to the right pressure a lot easier. Do not forget to use it 🙂
– Periodically inspect your bike tyres for wear and damage. When a tyre is worn it will lose tread and start to flatten out. Some tyres now come with wear indicators that let you know when it is time to change the tyre. The rear tyre will usually wear first as it bears most of the rider’s weight. To prolong the life of your tyres you can swap the front and rear tyre around every couple of months.
– If your bike has been sat unused in the shed for years it is worth checking that the bike tyres are not perishing; if they are it would be wise to replace them.
– The bike tyre should also be replaced if it is bulging or torn.
– To avoid future punctures it is also a good idea to inspect for and remove any debris that has got into the tyre, such as glass or thorns. Just be careful not to cut yourself removing it!
If the thought of a puncture keeps you up at night you can get puncture resistant tyres. They are a great way to make commuting more reliable. Some commuter favourites are Schwalbe Marathons or the Continental Gatorskin (used by Grease Monkey staff).
Changing your bike tyres is also a great way to upgrade your bike. Getting a set of lightweight premium tyres reduces rotational weight and can improve the ride feel of the bike. The Grease Monkey favourite for a balance of cost and performance on the road is the Continental Grand Prix tyre that has the supper grippy Black Chilli compound.
If you are interested in getting some new rubber for your bike we offer a discount on fitting a pair of tyres. Get in touch if you would like more info.
Grease Monkey Cycles launch workshop franchise package! Grease Monkey Cycles set to achieve ambitious expansion plans for their established...READ MORE
We are hiring right now, if you are interested please get in touch or pass it on to anyone who...READ MORE
Please enter your email address below to receive our newsletter.